Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Nacirema

Part A:
(1) Opulence: This name reminds me of many obstacles, and multiple things. This word is often referred to as the number of such ritual centers it possesses. For example: When people are going to the temple, because they are really sick, because of the possesses of adults and children, they have to go to a Opulence house which is the place that is meant to handle the possesses.

(2) The Focal Point: This is an important area, because where things are kept save for when the time is ready to be used. Its a part of the shrine, which is built into the wall, and hold the impotence of magical positions. It looks like a chest or a box known as the charm box. These are held by the medicine men or practitioners, these charm boxes are usually filled to the max.

(3) Pathological Horror: In so many words, the Nacirema has a thing they call pathological horror, which has to do with the mouth and that has a supernatural to it, but its not just the mouth, its also whats in your mouth, such as your teeth, and your gums. They believe the mouth has a supernatural influence on social relationships. One thing leads to another, and they could lose everything, such as friends and family will not associate with that person.

(4) Latipso: This is not the place where everyone would want to go, a temple that holds a ceremony and not a good one. Once you go in you never come out. This is a harsh ceremony that it is phenomenal that a fair proportion of the really sick natives who enter the temple ever recover. Even children would have to go, and this is why they would try there hardest to avoid going to the temple, since even children wouldn't come back out.

(5) Intercourse: This was interesting, because when you think of intercourse it sounds nice and enjoyable, well not here it doesn't, they try to stop intercourse. The reason they try to avoid intercourse, is because try to avoid having babies for various different reasons some are  because, when pregnant they try to hide it, from everyone, another one is because they don't breast feed and well when you don't breast feed the baby is more variable to disease and could get sick easier. So to avoid or at least limit pregnancy they use a magical material.

Part B:

(1)
First: Opulence, reminds me of an obstacle or something that has to do with multiple of any thing of some kind. When I ran by this word in the story it made me feel curvy and many. The when I kept reading, I was shocked what it was meant for but I was shocked in a good way. A house full of really sick people but not sick like the flu, but sick as in possessions. It overall did have something multiple.
Second: Focal Point, the first thing that came to my mind, was a place really important, its something that gave me a feeling, of a memorable place. As I read, it turns out that it was and is a very save place. It’s for the charm box, which was for the medicine, which the medicine men had.
Third: Pathological Horror, made me think of a pathological Lair, but I’m not stupid enough believe that, that’s everywhere. I knew it had to do with something mysteries, because of how the story was going. The pathological horror has to do with spiritual things, or in the supernatural area. This didn’t have to do with body supernatural, but the mouth is where it’s held in, and then your teeth to your gums.
Fourth: Latipso, this was the most interesting and unique word I have ever heard, and couldn’t stop reading, it got me feeling so interested. I had no thoughts what it could be, I learned what it was for, and that was pretty much, “the temple of no return,” which is what I would like to call it. The reason I say this is, because when you go in you never come out.
Fifth: Intercourse, which at first I was like yay! No, the first thing that popped up in my mind was, in so many terms, having a lot of babies, which was the wrong idea that I thought. This is way someone should never jump to conclusions. They actually tried not to create to many babies. The reason for that is, because of the supernatural that goes on in the tribe. Some parents did rituals on their children, when they were young and if they got possessed, to the temple they must go and there will be no return.


(2)
            There is one word that I used a bit quickly, before reading all of about there reasons for how there “intercourse” went about. I judged them by saying, “ This all they are going to do is, make a lot of babies.” This statement was wrong of me to say, exceptionally just jumping to conclusions about this tribe. Yes, thinking of sex right off the top of my head, and not thinking straight, but then in reality in there tribe, they don’t mind making babies just not a lot, and they have there reasons for there choosing. I believe all my words are free from bias, because most of them was just about the same thing. One word that I did use, “intercourse,” may have seemed bias, but was not meant that way at all. I did not hate at all.


(3)
            If the intercourse was bias, to anyone, which I didn’t mean it that way at all, I’m sorry. My word change would be family sizes. This word would be better in away, because Asking how big of a family would you like, sounds better than, how’s the intercourse.  None of my other words sounded bias at all, because when I thought of one thing, it pretty much was the same thing as what the word was, or related to the word in some sort of way.


(4)
            Never have problems with a tribe you are trying to become friends with or have good terms with, because one word taken the wrong way can mean to terms not just for you, but other anthropologists. Tribes are very unique people in such a beautiful way. If you make bad terms with them, you are also being there anthropologist down because the tribe wont trusts outsiders, if you hurt them with just even words. If a professional anthropologist can think before speaking thing will turn out for the good, if some one is sent out there inexperienced, then yes they are about to say something that they don’t mean but is taken the wrong way. My answer would be yes and no, and I have explained why. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, it wasn't clear to me that you were aware that the Nacerima article was written as an outsider's view of the American culture (from half a decade ago). You never mention that connection so I wanted to make sure that was clear. All those things in the article are actually descriptions of our American culture.

    "Intercourse" didn't throw me, but your use of "pathological horror" stopped me in my tracks. In order to avoid bias in anthropological descriptions, it is important to avoid negative connotations that are the product of the outsider's bias but wouldn't be recognized by the culture itself. "Pathological" is a very negative, judgmental term, suggesting not only something bad but something wrong or even diseased, in a psychological sense. Adding "horror" to the mix was just icing on the cake. Can you think of an alternative that is purely descriptive but without the judgement?

    Otherwise, good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You missed the point entirely. The Nacirema aren't a real people. The Nacirema are us! Americans! It was a satirical article that described the eccentricities of American culture from an outside viewpoint. It was trying to demonstrate how easy it would be for someone outside of our own culture to make broad judgments about our lifestyle because they don't understand it. It was an exercise to explain to you how easy and natural it is to foster an ethnocentric viewpoint of the world and other cultures. As students of anthropology we must understand the importance of curbing our personal biases.

    You were supposed to choose adjectives and not just random words from the text. “Intercourse” has nothing to do with anything. You can't say “That culture is very intercourse.” That makes no sense. Instead you might have talked about the sexual habits of the culture and chosen a descriptive word or phrase such as “sexually repressed” or “conservative” and explained your viewpoint by discussing their intercourse habits.

    Also, when you come across a word you don't know, (such as opulence) look it up. It's difficult to understand what you are even trying to say most of the time. If English is not your first language I apologize for being harsh with my criticisms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reel it in, tone it down and keep it civil, Mr. Martin. Please review the course policy regarding netiquette and online interaction.

      Delete